Monday 24 October 2011

12 : Final Design Brief

My design brief has been a bit all over the place, just a whole lot of buzzwords like 'design for dissaembly', 'mobility of people' etc.. so I've written a more extensive brief which address each criteria, just so that I can stay on track over the next two weeks.  All of these criteria answer the questions in my lecture notes found in 07 : Lecture

INFRASTRUCTURE
  • STRATEGY: Woden Valley Depot is supported by various existing systems such as extensive cycle routes, the Westfield Woden bus interchange and Athllon Drive which connect Woden town centre to Tuggeranong.  On an urban scale, the depot is located directly opposite the Westfield shopping centre and town centre which is a central access point for residents in both east and west locations.
  • LOGISTICS: The light rail carriages itself become parts of the circulation of the station.  The structure of the depot allows for a variety of configurations and is designed to a grid system which allows the light rail carriages to line up and connect to form these integrated corridors between the permanent structure and the 'mobile' carriages.
 TECTONIC RESOLUTION
  • PURPOSE AND FUNCTION: To simplify the built form for the presentation, I will use a basic greyscale format for general information and colour where necessary.  I will use an exploded diagram to demonstrate the three structural elements of the Woden Valley Depot, The internal steel framing, backlit skin of perforated steel as cladding and concrete as overall structural base.
  • CIRCULATION AND ACCESS: axonometic floor plans will be used to help illustrate how users move from one for to another, through the use of elevators, stairs and ramps.
  • STRUCTURAL / OPERATIONAL: I will endeavor to display a variety of possible operational outcomes, such as displaying simple diagrams with convey how the structure will react and move in relation to the people who are using the space.
 POETIC RESOLUTION
  • PRESENCE AND IDENTITY: I will present my proposal in a variety of scales.  On a ACT scale, on a Woden Valley scale and from the user perspective.  This will allow me to show how my architectural entity is integrated with the existing context.
  • USER EXPERIENCE: My whole panel will be based on how a variety of people interact with the light rail system over a 24 hours period.  This project diagrams on how the interior spaces of the light rail cater for a variety of needs during the day, as well as how the depot is activated at night time for public forum events.
  • AESTHETIC RIGOR: As with all of my projects, I take a lot of pride in how I communicate my ideas.  I have decided to do one continuous landscape panel, possibly equivalent to 2 x A2 panels which will feature a train line down the centre of the panel, explaining the different stops with icons the represent the needs of that particular area.  It will also include maps of existing cycle/bus routes.  Above the train line with be images/sketches/plans of the light rail carriages.. and then below will have images/sketches/plans/diagrams of the Woden Valley Depot.

No comments:

Post a Comment